Process: Basic Needs
The school staff member will:
- Identify a student/family that needs assistance related to food, clothing, shelter, medical needs or transportation. These are difficult situations that warrant immediate intervention.
- Determine whether the request fits within our guidelines.
- Contact HOPE via email and/or phone to present situationand request assistance.
- Serve as the liaison between the HOPE Board and the parents. It might be that more information will need to be acquired to assist with the transactions.
- Respect the dignity and confidentiality of each request and not discuss it with anyone but HOPE representatives.
- Request permission from the student/family to make a referral to HOPE.
The HOPE Board will:
- Make the final decision on whether assistance is provided or not. Any request has to be approved by a majority of the board members.
- Fulfill the needs of approved requests as quickly as possible, most often within a few days.
- Respect the dignity and confidentiality of each request and not discuss it with anyone but the “requesting staff member.”
- Provide assistance on a one-time basis. In extreme cases a student/family might be helped more than once
The intent of Indianola HOPE is to provide comfort to our school district’s students and families who are in difficult situations that warrant immediate attention.
Immediate, temporary assistance to Indianola Students and their families will be provided when they suffer needs related to food clothing, shelter, medical needs or transportation.
By helping students with problems related to basics needs, Indianola HOPE seeks to create a more effective learning environment in the Indianola schools.
Students learn best when their basic needs for survival are met and when they know teachers and other school staff care about them.